A 6 week intensive that teaches beginners the fundamentals of glassblowing.
Class includes 4 hours each week of instruction/shop time with additional time throughout the week to access the cold shop. Over the first five weeks, students will learn the ins and outs of the hotshop, to safely gather, shape and finish basic forms of glass vessels using clear glass. By the sixth week, students will be introduced to various types of color application.
What you'll learn
This class will introduce the following skills:
- Introduction to basic hot shop tools & equipment
- Safe glassblowing methods
- Gathering from a furnace
- Basic shaping and forming of the glass (with tools such as blocks, paper, paddles, jacks, and the marver).
- Teamwork and communication
- Neckline, Punty transfer & knock-off/ annealer put-away
- Intro to basic shapes and vessels (cups, rondels, cylinders, cones, spheres, etc.)
- Intro to coldworking (flat grinder and punty removal).
Successful completion of this class will allow students to feel comfortable participating in open blow glass sessions and to continue building their skills in intermediate classes & workshops.
Students will be required to dress appropriately (polyester free shirt & pants with closed toed shoes) as well as comply with Covid safety requirements (use of provided personal mouthpieces, safety eyewear, and follow sanitary/safety guidelines).
Minimum class size is 4, Max 6 people.
We provide discounts for our neighbors here in Seaside/Sand City, military veterans, and educators. If you are one of these, please make sure to login before purchase.